Dr. Sergey Marchenko
University of Alaska Fairbanks
903 Koyukuk Drive
Fairbanks, AK 99775-7320, USA
- Interaction between climate and permafrost in Arctic and Sub-Arctic
- Altitudinal permafrost formation, distribution and evolution in the mountain regions during the Quaternary
- Numerical modeling of permafrost dynamics, spatial analysis, development of scientific models on a high performance computing (HPC) platform.
2012 – present Visiting Professor, Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) at the State Key Laboratory of Frozen Soil Engineering (SKLFSE), the Cold and Arid Regions Environmental and Engineering Research Institute (CAREERI)
2008 – present Research Associate Professor, Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks.
2006 – 2008 Research Associate, Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks.
2003 – 2006 Visiting Research Scholar, Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks.
1993 – 2003 Senior Scientist, Yakutsk Permafrost Institute, Siberian Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences, Kazakhstani Alpine Permafrost Laboratory.
1989 – 1993 Engineer, Yakutsk Permafrost Institute, Siberian Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences.
1985 – 1989 Engineer, Research Institute of Mechanics, Almaty, Kazakhstan.
Institute of Agric&Mechanics Mechanical Engineering; Theoretical Mechanics B.S. 1985
Moscow State University Geology; Mathematical Methods in Geology M.S. 1991
Moscow State University Glaciology and Geocryology Ph.D. 2000
- Service to the scientific community as an expert on mountain permafrost in Central Asia of the Global Climate Observing System (GCOS/WMO)
- Service to the scientific community and Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan as an expert on high mountain periglacial environment in central Asia
- Member of the Editorial Board for the Sciences in Cold and Arid Regions (2013-2016)
- Member of the International Permafrost Association (IPA) Action Group: Permafrost extension during the Last Glacial Maximum in the northern hemisphere and derived mean annual temperatures
- Member of the International Permafrost Association (IPA) Action Group: Last Permafrost Maximum and Minimum (LPMM) in Eurasia
- Co-chair for the Working Group on Mapping and Modeling of Mountain Permafrost, International Permafrost Association (2003-2008)
American Geophysical Union
United States Permafrost Association
International Permafrost Association
European Geophysical Union
Editorial Board for the Sciences in Cold and Arid Regions (2013-2016)