Dr. Sergey Marchenko
College of Natural Science and Mathematics
University of Alaska Fairbanks
2156 Koyukuk Drive, 208E Elvey Blvd
Fairbanks, AK 99775-7320, USA
- Interaction between climate and permafrost, Globally.
- Altitudinal permafrost formation, distribution and evolution in the mountain regions during the Quaternary and present.
- Numerical modeling of permafrost dynamics, spatial analysis, development of scientific models on a high performance computing (HPC) platform.
2011 – present Visiting Professor, Chinese Academy of Science (CAS) at the State Key Laboratory of Frozen Soil Engineering (SKLFSE), the Cold and Arid Regions Environmental and Engineering Research Institute (CAREERI), Lanzhou, Gansu, China.
2008 – present Research Associate Professor, Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks, USA.
2006 – 2008 Research Associate, Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks, USA.
2003 – 2006 Visiting Research Scholar, Geophysical Institute, University of Alaska Fairbanks, USA.
1993 – 2003 Senior Scientist, Yakutsk Permafrost Institute, Siberian Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences, Kazakhstani Alpine Permafrost Laboratory, Russia
1989 – 1993 Engineer, Yakutsk Permafrost Institute, Siberian Branch of Russian Academy of Sciences, Russia.
1985 – 1989 Engineer-Programmer, Research Institute of Mechanics, Almaty, Kazakhstan.
Institute of Agric&Mechanics Mechanical Engineering; Theoretical Mechanics B.S. 1985
Moscow State University Geology; Mathematical Methods in Geology M.S. 1991
Moscow State University Glaciology and Geocryology Ph.D. 2000
- Service to the scientific community as an expert on mountain permafrost in Central Asia of the Global Climate Observing System (GCOS/WMO);
- Service to the scientific community and Ministry of Education and Science of the Republic of Kazakhstan as an expert on high mountain periglacial environment in central Asia;
- Member of the Editorial Board for the Sciences in Cold and Arid Regions (2013-2016);
- Member of the International Permafrost Association (IPA) Action Group: Permafrost extension during the Last Glacial Maximum in the Northern Hemisphere and derived mean annual temperatures;
- Member of the International Permafrost Association (IPA) Action Group: Last Permafrost Maximum and Minimum (LPMM) in Eurasia;
- Co-chair for the Working Group on Mapping and Modeling of Mountain Permafrost, International Permafrost Association (2003-2008).
American Geophysical Union
United States Permafrost Association
International Permafrost Association
European Geophysical Union
Editorial Board for the Sciences in Cold and Arid Regions (2013-2016)